Monday, May 21, 2007

BioBlitz


The other day I heard about something called a BioBlitz, which appears to be a 24-hour inventory of all living organisms in a particular area. How cool is that? Apparently BioBlitz events occur all over the world at different times, and it seems that most of them have already occurred this year. Too bad, it sounds like fun. One problem I have with this program is it doesn't seem to have an overriding organizational structure. I do a google search for "BioBlitz" and I get web pages for inventories being done in New York, California, Connecticut, Colorado, DC, etc. And a wikipedia entry on the history of it, but there doesn't seem to be anyone putting all of this information together, which seems like it would be a good thing. I did find something called The First Annual Blogger BioBlitz, which appears to be a group of science bloggers collaborating on a bunch of bioblitzes. Looks like fun. Maybe I'll join them next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment